MOVEMENT-INDUCED MICROCOSMIC ORBIT - Dr. Bingkun Hu
Technically speaking, to learn the practice of MCO, one should first learn how to
gather and circulate the qi in the “ren” and “du” channels, (or the conception and
governing channels) and then gradually learn how to purify the “jing”, “qi”, and
“shen”, so that eventually they can be condensed and forged into “elixir”. In this
short article, however, whenever I mention MCO, I am only referring to the first
stage of this practice, which is the stage of circulating qi in the “ren” and “du”
Medical benefits of practicing MCO
When we practise the First and Second 64 Movements of Wild Goose Qigong, we immediately
feel our hands turn warm and our whole body feel energized. This is the effect of
the MCO. Since our blood circulation has a close relationship with the qi circulation,
MCO can increase our blood flow to the peripheral blood vessels, and make our hands
warm. In the same way, when we feel our mind is clearer and sharper after practising
the Wild Goose Qigong, it is because MCO has brought more oxygen to our brain cells.
After practising Wild Goose Qigong for a longer period of time, we may even notice
that our immune system has been strengthened. As you know, our pineal, pituitary,
thyroid, thymus, adrenal , and gonad glands are all located in close proximity to
the conception and governing channels . So, while MCO causes qi to circulate within
the conception and governing channels, it also stimulates all the glands, thus giving
our immune system a needed boast.
Aside from its great health benefits, MCO practice is technically indispensable in
the training of the following qigong attributes:
1) Deepening one’s relaxation through enjoying the natural rhythm of the MCO and
also through shifting our body weight for relaxation.
2) Heightening one’s sensory-motor awareness through feeling again and again the
moving up and down of qi in the “ren” and “du” channels.
3) Developing one’s reverse abdominal breathing while trying to make one’s MCO
movements smaller and smoother.
MCO has long been a Daoist secret to health and longevity for over a thousand years.
Before the late Grandmaster Yang, Mei-jun decided to make public the Wild Goose
Qigong, people who wanted to learn MCO could only learn it through long years of
meditation. It took quite a while for qigong masters to realise that all kinds of
MCO can be learned much faster through the movement-induced approach. And, to many
people’s surprise, all the relevant forms of movements, or sets of movements, which
can induce the MCO are already included in the 11 sets of Wild Goose Qigong.
Different forms of MCO
To conclude this short article, let me list the eight often used forms of MCO which
are used in Wild Goose Qigong.
1) The Small MCO - Qi circulates within one’s “ren” and “du” channels, as in the
ending of WG-1.
2) The Reverse Small MCO - Qi also circulates within one’s “ren” and “du” channels,
but in the reverse direction, as in movement 44 of WG-1.
3) The Mini-MCO - Qi circulates from the “dan-tian”, perineum, “ming-men”, navel
to “dan-tian”, as in movement 6 of WG-2.
4) The Reverse Mini-MCO - Qi circulates from “ming-men”, perineum, “dan-tian” to
5) The Big MCO - Qi circulates not only within one’s “ren” and “du” channels, but
also through the 12 meridian lines, as in movement 51 of WG-2.
6) The Reverse Big MCO - Same as the Big MCO, but qi circulates in the reverse direction;
7) The Big MCOwith a figure “8” - as in the ending of WG-4.
8) “Ti-wai-zhou-tian” - Qi circulates not only within one’s own body but also includes
an object (i.e., a tree) or your patient, as in WG meditation-1.
What is Microcosmic Orbit ( MCO)?
MCO is one of the most natural and effective qi pattern trainings used in Wild Goose
Qigong and other Daoist qigong, as well as in many kinds of meditation practices.
The Daoist philosophy behind the concept of MCO was that human beings could create
an “elixir” inside their own body and live to eternity, if they cultivated their
own “jing-qi-shen” in the right way - the way the sun, the moon, and the earth exist.
In other words, the Macro-Cosmic Orbit is the best model for human beings to follow.
Just like the moon orbits around the earth, and the earth orbits around the sun,
human qi should always orbit around our crown and our perineum. Thus, the coined
term: Micro-cosmic Orbit.